Skip to main content

Nigerian parliamentarians scuffle with police

The president of Nigeria' s Senate has suspended
legislative proceedings in the National Assembly
until Tuesday following a scuffle between
parliamentarians and police.
David Mark announced the closure on
Thursday after police fired tear gas inside the
parliament building .
The target of the attack seemed to be Aminu
Tambuwal , speaker of the House of
Representatives , who defected to the opposition
last month .
Tambuwal said police had prevented him from
entering the building, but a police spokesman told
Al Jazeera the speaker and his entourage had
been behaving in a disorderly manner by breaking
through barriers and assaulting police officers on
duty .
" Following an intelligence report of a likely
invasion of the House of Representatives by
hoodlums and thugs, the Nigeria Police Force
promptly deployed its personnel to the premises to
prevent a breakdown of law and order ," a police
statement said .
The statement said Tambuwal " arrived the venue
with a motley crowd, who broke the cordon,
assaulted the police and evaded due process and
the police had the duty to restore order and
normalcy , using lawful means ".
Calls for impeachment
Despite the tear gas , some politicians forced their
way inside with members of parliament resorting
to scaling parliament' s gate to gain access .
Some opposition members loudly demanded the
impeachment of President Goodluck Jonathan .
Al Jazeera 's Rawya Rageh , reporting from Abuja ,
said the incident was likely to inflame tensions
between the opposition and the ruling party led by
Jonathan in the run-up to next year ' s election .
" The opposition has already accused the ruling
party of 'putting the nation' s security forces in its
pocket' after police stripped Tambuwal of his
security detail following his defection to the
opposition side ," she said .
The parliament session had been convened to
discuss Jonathan 's request to extend emergency
rule in the country ' s northeast , where Boko Haram
operates. The armed group says it is fighting
Western influence and wants to form an Islamic
state there .
Jonathan asked parliamentarians on Tuesday to
approve the extension of emergency rule in three
states : Adamawa, Borno and Yobe . He said the
move was needed to sustain the pressure against
Boko Haram .
A vote was eventually not taken on Thursday and
the decision came in a closed -door session on
account of the decision to close the National
Assembly.
Emergency rule criticised
Opposition members in both chambers of
parliament have described the state of emergency
as a failure , with Boko Haram making massive
gains since May last year .
" Emergency rule is over as far as we are
concerned ," Zakaria Mohammed , the House of
Representatives spokesperson , was quoted by AFP
news agency as saying .
He said Jonathan needs approval from both
chambers to secure an extension and that
members of the lower house resolved that the
extension was not merited .
" We have asked the president to rely on Section 8
of the Armed Forces Act which empowers him to
deploy the military to trouble spots in the
country , " Mohammed said .
" If we have adopted a particular style and it' s not
yielding the desired results, we should be able to
change course . "
Experts have questioned the usefulness of
Jonathan 's emergency decree , and the additional
powers given to the military to carry out its 18 -
month -long offensive have never been spelt out .
The military was operating in all three affected
states before the May 2013 declaration , which
many saw as an attempt by Jonathan to
underscore the severity of the Boko Haram
conflict.

Comments

most read

Tricycle Agreement form/Higher purchase

BETWEEN NAME HERE…………………………………………….OWNER of Aba North L. G. A. Abia State. AND NAME HERE…………………...……………………….HIRER of Osisioma L. G. A. Abia State. IN RE: CARTER MOTORCYCLE WITH REGISTRATION NUMBER KGE822 VALUED AT FOUR HUNDRED AND TEN  THOUSAND NAIRA (N410,000.00) DOCUMENTED BY: CHIKE EZE DANIEL ESQ., OF CAR HIRE & CO.,  IHDULE CHAMBERS, 8 AFIKPO ROAD, ABAKALIKI, HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENT made this …………………………. day of …………………2014 BETWEEN NAME HERE of Chukwudi Umoh, of Aba north L. G. A. Abia State.  Nigeria (herein referred to as the “OWNER”) of the one part. AND NAME HERE of Azuiyiokwu Inyimagu,  Osisioma L. G. A. Abia State. State of ...

Fani kayode in support of corruption.

Fani – Kayode’s statement =“I have just spoken to Colonel Kayode Are, the former D-G of SSS during President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration and the former Acting National Security Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan and I am deeply concerned. He told me that his house is under siege and that gunshots are being fired at him and his family as we were speaking. “I am not sure what the issue is about but a situation where security men go to the home of a respected patriot like that and start shooting at him and his family for whatever reason is unacceptable and extremely dangerous. When you consider what is happening in Are’s home and marry with the shameful manner in which Colonel Sambo Dasuki, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, Governor Attahiru Bafawara, Alhaji Bashir Yuguda, Nnamdi Kanu, Godswill Orubebe, Bukola Saraki, Sule Lamido and others are being persecuted, threatened and demonised by the Federal Government it is clear that we are now in a police s...

6 Reasons for Breaking Up Text

Another Igbo businessman killed in Bauchi

TWO weeks after an Igbo business woman, Mrs Lorencia Onunkwo, was killed by yet to be arrested gunmen in front of her house at Fadama Mada area of Bauchi, a prominent Igbo businessman in the state capital, Mr John Udeh, popularly called John Bosco, was on Tuesday evening murdered in front of his house at the Federal Low-cost Housing Estate, Bauchi. Nigerian Tribune gathered that the late John Bosco was trailed by his assailants to his house where he was eventually murdered right in the presence of his wife, who was with him in his Audi car he was driving when the gunmen accosted them. A resident of the housing estate informed that the assailants, who were said to come on a motorbike, started shooting sporadically into the air to scare away residents. According to the source, “we started to hear gun shots shortly after Magrib prayer. This sent shivers down the spines of people in the area as everybody ran for dear life. It was later that we heard that the ...

Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

Two Twitter accounts belonging to American racial segregation org Ku Klux Klan, @KuKluxKlanUSA and @YourKKKCentral, have been seized by Anonymous as part of the hacker-activist entity's new campaign, #OpKKK . At 6:31pm PST Anonymous said it has knocked the website belonging to "Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan" -- the group responsible for the Ferguson threats -- offline.