Skip to main content

DR Congo violence as villagers flee ax, machete attacks

The survivors and the displaced live in a
desperate situation and in constant fear. They
remain at risk of new attacks and have had no
respite for the past three months. They have little
protection against violence and have received
hardly any assistance," Edwards said.
People need shelter, basic aid items, clean
drinking water and access to health services and
schools, he said. Aid projects have been
suspended because of the violence, of particular
concern where disease is already rife.
The UNHCR called on the government to protect
civilians and ensure humanitarian organizations
safe access to Beni and the surrounding areas. attacks over the last three months have
caused widespread fear and displacement. We are
appealing for humanitarian access to help people
in distress," UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards
told reporters in Geneva.
On Tuesday, Human Rights Watch also sounded
the alarm, saying its interviews with victims and
witnesses indicated unidentified rebel fighters
had killed at least 184 civilians -- though the
actual number is likely significantly higher -- and
injured many others in attacks on villages in Beni
territory.
About 88,000 people have been forced from their
homes in Beni and the surrounding area, with
some finding shelter with families while others
seek sanctuary in schools or churches, UNHCR
said. The violence has also spread northward
into Orientale province, the agency said.
Meanwhile, more attacks have been threatened,
prompting frightened villagers to flee again
toward larger towns and cities, the UNHCR said.

Comments

most read

Tricycle Agreement form/Higher purchase

BETWEEN NAME HERE…………………………………………….OWNER of Aba North L. G. A. Abia State. AND NAME HERE…………………...……………………….HIRER of Osisioma L. G. A. Abia State. IN RE: CARTER MOTORCYCLE WITH REGISTRATION NUMBER KGE822 VALUED AT FOUR HUNDRED AND TEN  THOUSAND NAIRA (N410,000.00) DOCUMENTED BY: CHIKE EZE DANIEL ESQ., OF CAR HIRE & CO.,  IHDULE CHAMBERS, 8 AFIKPO ROAD, ABAKALIKI, HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENT made this …………………………. day of …………………2014 BETWEEN NAME HERE of Chukwudi Umoh, of Aba north L. G. A. Abia State.  Nigeria (herein referred to as the “OWNER”) of the one part. AND NAME HERE of Azuiyiokwu Inyimagu,  Osisioma L. G. A. Abia State. State of ...

Newborn baby wakes up at own funeral.

The Hospital in Delhi has sacked two doctors. A newborn baby that had been declared dead by doctors in India 'woke up' moments before his funeral. Police and government enquiries are under way and two doctors have been sacked following the incident at the  Hospital in north west Delhi. The boy and his twin sister were born prematurely at 7.35am last Thursday, but the girl was stillborn and the boy pronounced dead at 1pm. But an hour later the baby's grandfather  discovered that the body bag the child had been placed in was moving. The boy was then taken to hospital in a critical condition. The baby's family had taken the twins to a burial ground when they noticed one of the children was in fact alive. In a statement, the hospital confirmed it had dismissed Dr AP Mehta and Dr Vishal Gupta. The hospital added: 'This strict action has been taken on the basis of our initial discussions with the expert group and as a reflection of our commitment to higher standar...

The People of Ipara Remo in Remo North LG.

Ipara Remo is a town in RemoNorth LG area in Remo division of ogun state, southwestern Nig. Ipara remo with a population of abt 30,000 people is a heterogenous community as it played host to people from different parts of our country Nigeria. It belongs to the group of those towns/communities where inheritance is basically patrilinea; people inherited property and status through their father's lineage and belonged to the father's family and community. It is one of the Remo towns that claim Origination and migration from Ile-ife. Ipara is in the northern part of Remo Division. You approach Ipara town from Saapade. It is a one road town. This is the old Federal road from Lagos – Sagamu – Ode Remo and from Saapade to Ipara. Ipara has boundary with Fidiwo a town-let in Obafemi Owode Local Government in the north. In the South-east, it has boundary with Isara and Ode-Remo. In the West, it has boundary with Obafemi – Owode farm-land with villages. Before the Lagos  Iba...

FULL TEXT OF ADEOSUN LATER

14th September, 2018 His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari President, Federal Republic of Nigeria State House Aso Villa Abuja Dear Excellency, Let me commence by thanking you profusely for the honour and privilege of serving under your inspirational leadership. It has been a truly rewarding experience to learn from you and to observe at close quarters your integrity and sense of duty. I have, today, become privy to the findings of the investigation into the allegation made in an online medium that the Certificate of Exemption from National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) that I had presented was not genuine. This has come as a shock to me and I believe that in line with this administration’s focus on integrity, I must do the honourable thing and resign. Your Excellency, kindly permit me to outline some of the background to this matter. I was born and raised in the United Kingdom, indeed my parental family home remains in London. My visits to Nigeria up until the age of thirty-four (34) were holida...

Egyptian Lawyer jailed for saying women in ripped jeans should be raped

An Egyptian lawyer has been sentenced to three years in prison for saying that women who wear ripped jeans should be raped in punishment. The lawyer made the remarks on a TV panel show in October, during a debate on a draft law on prostitution. "Are you happy when you see a girl walking down the street with half of her behind showing?" he said. He added: "I say that when a girl walks about like that, it is a patriotic duty to sexually harass her and a national duty to rape her." Mr Wahsh said that women who wore revealing clothing were "inviting men to harass them", and said "protecting morals is more important than protecting borders". The prosecutor brought charges against Mr Wahsh after a public outcry. The National Council for Women's Rights condemned the remarks, saying they were a "flagrant call" for rape, in violation of "everything in the Egyptian constitution". The council has now filed a complaint about th...